So I know a lot of people look forward to the fall for pumpkin spice flavors, but my favorite is when the Mint flavors come out. I am a sucker for anything Chocolate mint flavor, it puts me in the holiday spirit!
These cookies are a chewy, double chocolate delight. A cookie not only with mint in the batter but the added minty madness of a sprinkling of crushed candy canes on top. Perfect for cookie exchanges, holiday gatherings or alongside a cup of hot cocoa on a cold winter's night.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 2 large egg
- ½ tsp natural peppermint extract
- 2 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 candy cane (finely crushed)
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a cookie sheet with Parchment paper
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add eggs, peppermint extract and beat until light and fluffy
- Add flour, salt, cocoa powder, baking soda and powder mix gradually with the wet ingredients. Mix until well combined.
- Add chocolate chips and stir in with a mixing spoon and then chill in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Form the dough into 1 tablespoon balls and place 1-2 inches apart on the baking sheet.
- Press the tops down and then top with a few more chocolate chips
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. The edges should be crisp but the tops will still be slightly soft looking.
- Sprinkle crushed candy cane on immediately.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to rest until completely cooled. Store in an airtight container to keep fresh for up to a few days or freeze for several weeks.