While sugar cookies are delicious in their own right, sometime they need a little extra pizzazz to make them special. These thumb print sugar cookies fit that bill. All the tasty flavor of a normal sugar cookie, with a little extra texture and flavor added. Typically most people use apricot or raspberry as the filling, but I am partial to strawberry jam myself!
To get started you will need to make a basic sugar cookie batter.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks) soften
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until smooth.
- After butter and sugar is well blended, add the egg and beat until fluffy, then add in the vanilla.
- With the mixer on low, Slowly add the flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated (the dough will be stiff). Refrigerate, wrapped, for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.
Now for the fun part:
- Roll the basic sugar cookie dough into tablespoon-size balls and place on light greased or parchment lined baking sheets.
- Make a well in each ball with your thumb.
the your favorite Jam.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until just beginning to brown.
- Cool slightly on baking sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Once cooled completely sit back and Enjoy!!
Let me know how your cookies came out from this recipe and Happy Baking!
Be sure to Follow us on Facebook!!