These amazing Blueberry Crumb bars are tart and buttery and fruity and tangy and crumbly. Now I know blueberries are typically a summer treat, but with this cold front coming in, I wanted something to remind me of summer and warm weather!
These bars are very easy to put together and even though it is a 2 part recipes, it is very simple. If you a fan of blueberries, these bars will leave you craving more!
- 1 cup White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter - do not bring butter to room temp, it needs to be cold
- 1 large egg
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Line a 9×13-inch pan with parchment paper or lightly greased- Set aside
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest. Mix until well blended. Use your hands, a fork or a pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly.
- In a 2nd bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries..
- Take half the dough and press it evenly through the prepared pan. Tip- You can use a flat bottom glass to press the dough down.
- Pour the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust
- Crumble remaining dough over the berries.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-55 minutes, or until top is slightly brown.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares.